Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chocolate Covered Pretzels, Pecans and Apricots

I made these beauties for a cocktail party on Saturday night.  
I hate to arrive empty-handed.  Wine seems out of the question since I'm on antibiotics and probably shouldn't drink.  Also, I had a run in with a little too much champers and prosecco last weekend and, let's just say, I don't really remember how I got home.  I'd like to be better this week.  Plus, I'm on anti-biotics and apparently alcohol kills their effect.   Great!   So, chocolate covered treats it is.

These are insanely easy to make.  Except for one thing:  chocolate can burn pretty quickly, so use low heat.  In fact, your best bet?  A double boiler.  I make my own by filling a pot halfway with water, letting it come to a boil and covering it with an aluminum bowl.  (Come to think of it, this is probably a common method, but I'm high on vicodin and feeling obvious.)  Next, I fill the bowl with whatever I want to melt (chocolate, sugar, your heart).  In this case, a mix of milk and dark chocolate (I used Nestles;  it's not my fave or anything, but it melts really nicely), a pinch of very finely ground espresso and about 1/4 c. of milk.  Stir until smooth.  While you let it cool for a bit, line a cookie sheet with wax paper, then dip your treats (pretzels, cherries, any dried fruit, banana slices) one by one (or go ahead and throw 'em all in, who cares?!), lay them on the paper and refrigerate overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment