Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fatty Friday Issue #6: Moisture Problems?


From http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/2001/cake04ce3.jpg

Hi folks!  I'm a little late with this week's issue of Fatty Friday.  I had too much fun this past weekend and didn't have one spare minute to write.  Now I'm back and ready to introduce this week's topic:  cake flour vs. all-purpose flour.

My brother's birthday was this Sunday and, as a gift, I baked him a cake.  However, I used a new recipe and found that a recurring problem continues: the cake was tasty but dry.  This was frustrating, to say the least.  So I did some investigating, starting with two primary sources - Mom and Grandma.  What did I learn from Mama Dukes and G-Ma?  Something that I'm embarrassed to admit I've never even put much thought into: use cake flour.

Can it be that simple?  Apparently, yes.  According to Mom and Grandma (from a long line of terrific lady bakers), cake flour has a lighter consistency and bakes up fluffier, moister cakes.  My Mom's carrot cake IS the best on earth but I've never paid attention to what type of flour she uses.

Just to be sure, I went home and did some research to find out if Mom was right.  Turns out that there is a difference between cake flour and all-purpose.  All-purpose is a heavier flour, perfect for sturdy baked goods, like breads and some cookies.  Whereas cake flour is lighter with almost 6-8% less protein.   But you don't have to go out and buy cake flour all the time, friends!  Try this recipe in a pinch!

My project over the next few days will be to recreate that cake (or make some cupcakes) with cake flour (or the substitute).  More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment