Monday, April 27, 2009

Fatty Friday Issue #8: (continued)

I got it bad, folks! That's right, I got pizza on the brain! So, I wanted to go back to last week's post for a moment to give you all a chance to simmer in the joy of pizza just a little bit more. And some of the best places to cultivate tasty pizza ingredients are salumerias (aka Italian delis). So, if you have the time, I suggest you visit one of the better salumerias in New York City: Dave and Tony's.

This little, family-owned and -run gem is located in Astoria (yes, Queens) on 30th Avenue near 34th Street. When I visited, Ralph - very nice guy - let me try a few cheeses for my pizza (gotta love free samples). I ended up buying their fresh mozzarella and a chunk of primo sale*, a sweet, mild, pecorino-like cheese that originated in Sicily. Ralph recommended it for grating on top of the pizza - and it was amazing!

So amazing, in fact, that I made some more pizzas with my guy later on in the week. Here is one of his delectable creations. Yum!

Three cheese (home made ricotta, primo sale, fresh mozzarella) with baby portabello mushrooms

I promise this week's issue will not be about more pizza. I can't promise that it won't involve some sort of dough, though. Dough=love.

*Warning: It's addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment