Monday, May 18, 2009

Fatty Friday Issue #11: Continued...

Well, New York weather is doing its typical spring cock-tease. (Sorry for the language, but have you been outside?) Hot and sunny! Cold and rainy! Warm and sunny! Cold and gross! I feel like I'm being shaken from side to side by Mother Nature and she's getting a real kick out of it! Well, mama, how about giving it a rest and relenting to warmer temps, hmm?

Regardless of that fickle lady's plans, I'm ready for summer and my taste buds are, too! That's why last Friday I prepared and shared a t-rific (if I do say so myself) strawberry rhubarb pie with some buddies (you know who you are). I used a slightly different dough recipe than in the past and referred to the filling recipe here. My only adjustment to the filling was to add the juice of half a lemon for some extra bite. It was tangy and tasty!


For the dough, I again went to the Ortega's (1080 Recipes. Ortega, Simone and Ines. Phaidon. NY. 2007).
1/34 cups flour
1 stick butter (my adjustment, since they call for only 6 1/2 tbsps)
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp sunflower oil
salt

Mix flour and butter until it gets grainy. Then add everything else. Knead, cover and chill at least 2 hours before using. (I only chilled it 20 minutes and it still came out very tasty.)

There was some extra dough left, too. So I made some nutella-peanut butter bites.

These weren't bad either. Here's what you do if you want to make them yourself:
Line the cups of a mini muffin tin with the remaining tart dough. Make the filling:
about three tbps peanut butter
two or three tbsp nutella
1/4 bar of cream cheese
2-3 tbsp of primo sale (like ricotta) or you can just use an entire bar of cream cheese
one egg
2-3 tbsp sugar
Mix that all together and pour into mini muffin tin. Cook for about 20 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

As always, folks, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me even more bummed that I missed these treats!

    ReplyDelete