Friday, June 19, 2009

Fatty Friday Issue #13: What to do with fresh apricots and pumpkin seeds?

This is a question I don't normally ask myself. But in the fruit market the other day I caught myself with a bag of plump apricots in one hand and a carton of raw pumpkin seeds in the other. I knew I wanted both items, but what to do with them? Each could be enjoyed alone, but together they could do great things, I was certain of this.

So I thought about what to do as the cashier with the hairy mole pronounced my total. Then, like a bolt of lightning, it came to me: scones! Scones made with juicy chunks of fresh apricot, blended with toasted pumpkin seeds...maybe some wheat germ (for crunch) and a base including whole wheat flour and lots of cinnamon? Yeah, that would do it.

After my brain snapped back to life I paid for my things, ran home and found this recipe. I adjusted it by instead using one whole stick of butter, about one tbsp of cinnamon, washing the tops of the scones with milk and sprinkling them with some sugar before placing them in the oven.

They took very little time to make and were really yummy. The only other adjustment I think I will make next time will be to add a little half and half to moisten the dough a touch more. Why not try it at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment