Friday, July 31, 2009

Fatty Friday Issue #17: The Breakfast Club

Hello folks! Sorry I missed you last week. I was up in Kenebunk, ME with the ol' ball and chain. While there I saw lighthouses, took long walks along rocky shores and ate delicious dishes like butternut squash soup flavored with Grand Marnier, morroccan chicken and one tasty blueberry coffee cake, all while faithfully sipping a strong g&t each night before dinner. One might say I had an a-maine-zing time! (cue sound of crickets chirping)

Anywho, we've been paying the sweets a lot of attention in recent issues, but now it's time to shift gears to my favorite meal time: brunch. As we all know, one of the perks of brunch is the opportunity to drink before 5 pm. We also love how brunch, many times, represents the wonderful marriage of sweet and savory tastes, featuring the faithful egg in a crucial role, see the monte cristo and hungry bear sandwiches.

One of my favorite savory treats - traditionally relegated to lunch time - is the club sandwich. You know the club: turkey, bacon, swiss, lettuce, tomato, many times on toasted white...it's the sandwich for those who want it all. Well, I took that idea and punched it up a bit! I present to you the modified Breakfast Club. No, not the movie, but rather, a beast of a breakfast sandwich, featuring that very faithful egg, savory pepper turkey, salty, greasy bacon, melty muenster, spicy arugula, and sweet tomato, all on crusty tuscan pane with just a touch of mayo and mustard. There are several apparent differences between my version and the original--here's some history on that, if you're interested--but the main distinction is the lack of that middle slice of bread. I never understood its necessity. Do you think it's needed?

While I wait to hear back from the hordes, how's about we go to the recipe?
To make one sandwich:
1. fry one egg (or two, depending) any style
2. fry up two to three slices of bacon
3. sautee a round or two of red onions
4. toast the bread and smear one slice with mayo and the other with mustard
5. top one slice with the hot egg, a slice of cheese and bacon
6. top another slice with turkey, arugula and red onions
7. fold slices together
8. enjoy!



I added a touch of Sriracha to my sandwich and, my word, was it tasty! Try this puppy out with a bloody mary or three. If you don't like it I'll come to your house and make one for you!*

*Author has the right to rescind statement depending on her mood.

1 comment:

  1. It's the middle slice of bread that makes it a Club sandwhich. Not what goes inside. It's the one thing that is actually judged by its cover! :)

    ReplyDelete