Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fatty Friday Issue #18: Time to Make the Donuts (part 1)


Source: kurtw.tumblr.com

Donuts gained significant popularity in New York a few years ago. People were out to find the best donut spot. Blogs were started; friends told tales of eating warm, melty, fresh donuts from little holes in the wall around the five boroughs. It was an exciting time! I remember waiting outside of Peter Pan donuts shop the summer before last and convincing the manager, along with some friends, to give us a lemon-filled donut. It was heavenly...

Recently, I have been intrigued by donuts once more. In fact, I tried my hand at donuts last week. But I baked them, opting out of the traditional fried version. The result, when shared with friends, was generally "Hmm, this is ok, but something is off with the dough." This is because donuts need to be fried - or so I keep hearing.

My task for this week's issue is to try my hand at traditional, fried donuts. My house will smell like a deep-fried palace, but it will probably be worth it. I'm trying this recipe, and can't wait for the results!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment