Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pita for Your Thoughts?


I'm on a bit of a middle eastern cuisine rant this week. Today's post is dedicated to Ashkara (aka Urban Pita) on East Houston near Orchard Street. If you haven't been, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess you're missing out on life. But it's OK, because now you know and you can jump back on the life bandwagon.

Don't thank me: just go! And don't pay attention to the website - it looks cheesy (note: this is just my personal opinion!) and it might deter you. I haven't included the link for that reason. It's like that myth about the guy who has to save his wife from Hades, but the deal is that he can't look at her or else she'll get sucked back down to hell...or turn to salt. Something terrible. Just don't look, OK?

First, let's talk about the price. For under $5 you can get a pita with either just falafel; falafel and hummus or falafel, hummus and eggplant. Wee!

Next, let's talk about awesomeness. The tagline isn't "Warning: Our falafel is addictive" for no reason. The falafel is just perfect. Honestly. I've eaten a fair amount of falafel in my life and this place does it RIGHT. It's crispy on the outside and doesn't lose its crisp when you've doused it in their savory garlic, tahini and hot sauces. And trust me, I douse.

Plus, UP has this unlimited salad bar with fried cauliflower, sauteed carrots, herby cucumber, chunky eggplant salad (not babaganoush - something else entirely), and several more veggie options and sauces. The garlic sauce is not to be missed, though! And don't even get me started on their belgian fries. More perfection - like an angel riding a unicorn.

Just go check it out for yourself. You won't regret it.

Ashkara/Urban Pita @ 189 East Houston Street (212) 230-8302

1 comment:

  1. Whatchoo talkin 'bout, Eurypides!?

    and yes: Best. Falafel. Ever. mmm, cauliflower...

    ReplyDelete