Sunday, March 8, 2009

Who'd a Thunk It? (Part dos)


I like a good muffin as much as the next person.  Though, if offered a muffin over a croissant, a muffin would be my last choice.  I feel very locked into my decision with a muffin because muffins come with stuff (i.e., carrots, nuts, chocolate chips).  Whereas, with a croissant I can spread butter, jam, honey - any myriad of things - onto it for a tasty breakfast.  Meaning, I have choice.

But sometimes a recipe comes along that opens the mind.  Earlier today I baked up some of the salted double chocolate rosemary muffins, inspired by this recipe.  I added a large handful of chopped rosemary to the batter and then sprinkled salt and some extra chopped rosemary on the muffins before baking.  The result was a not-too-sweet and savory, completely satisfying, light and moist muffin that could work for breakfast, a mid-day snack or even dessert.   Why didn't I feel locked in with this muffin?  Perhaps it was the mixture of salty and sweet.  That, and I made them myself so, you know... (poppin' up collars!)

1 comment:

  1. ever since i have my first chocolate covered pretzel i've been obsessed with salty-sweet combos. these sound amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete